Exploring Central: County Road S-2 (Southern Emigrant Trail)
In the central part of Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, County
Road S-2 is known as the Southern Emigrant Trail. The road passes through
Earthquake Valley, Blair Valley, Mason Valley, Vallecito Valley, and Carrizo
Valley where it becomes known as Sweeney Pass Road in Anza-Borrego South.
From north to south, points of interest include:
- Scissors Crossing
- Historic marker. Pacific Crest Trail. Sentenac
Ranch. Highway 78.
- Earthquake Valley
- Earthquake Valley. Shelter Valley (small
store, campround). Pinyon Mountain Road (North Pinyon Mountains, California
Riding & Hiking Trail, Pinyon
Mountain Valley, Whale Peak, Fish Creek Wash).
Cool Canyon. Granite Mountain. Little Blair Valley
- Blair Valley
- Blair Valley, ABDSP campground. Foot &
Walker Pass. Marshal South Ruins. Morteros.
Pictographs. Smuggler Canyon. California Riding & Hiking Trail. More.
- Box Canyon
- Box Canyon, California Riding & Hiking
Trail, Hornblende Canyon.
- Mason Valley
- Mason Valley. Oriflamme Canyon. Rodriguez Canyon.
Rainbow Canyon. Campbell
- Vallecito Valley
- Vallecito Ranch. The Potrero. Vallecito
Station County Park. Vallecito Creek. Bisnaga Wash.
- Carrizo Valley
- Agua Caliente County Park. Inner Pasture.
June Wash, Palm Spring, Mesquite Oasis, Arroyo Hueso, Arroyo Tapiado, Arroyo
Seco del Diablo, Indian Gorge/Valley, Torote Canyon. Trailhead for Sombrero
- Sweeney Pass Road
- See Anza-Borrego South.